December 13, 2008

Christmas countdown

We enjoy counting down the days until Christmas. In fact, we like it so much, that we do it two different ways.


This is our Noel Advent Calendar. Every evening, we read another part of the Christmas story and the kids move a piece from the bottom half of the canvas up to the nativity scene on the top half. On Dec. 1 we put the manger in place, on the 2nd a donkey, then a cow, then Mary, then Joseph, etc all the way to Dec. 25 when we put baby Jesus in the manger. It's so simple and the kids love it. We got it from here.


We also do a Christmas chain. I got this idea from a friend and it's so fun! Every morning we remove a chain link and inside is written something fun for us to do. Things like: Read a Christmas book, dance around the Christmas tree, make sugar cookies, go on a Christmas scavenger hunt, find all the hidden candy canes, do a Christmas craft. We have had a blast with this!

Do you do anything to count down the days until Christmas?
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

The Heitlands said...

So cool we do the Christmas countdown to!!!!!


Claudia

Courtney said...

I'm thinking I should go window peeping one of the mornings that you are all "dancing around the Christmas tree". :p Does Joel do that too?

We don't have anything like this now, but I like it. We had an advent calendar thingy when I was a kid.

Heath Clan said...

Wow-we have the same advent calendar. We got it four years ago.

My hubby dances with the kids too:)
I have video with him involving a bridal veil-definate blackmail possibilities.

Anonymous said...

We also make a paper chain. But I haven't thought about adding ideas for fun each day to it. Great idea...thanks!

PS Of course we always have fun though :)

Anonymous said...

I like the advent calendar. I was looking for one like that because most of them are not religious anymore...but was having trouble finding one. Thanks for the link! I'll have to think about that for next year!

Anonymous said...

By the way, did I tell you we have been attending Bethlehem? Great church. I didn't know they sold Advent calendars..LOL...I'm a moron.

Tanya said...

That is a fabulous church Michelle.

Remember David and Paula? Her brother goes there, too.

Noel Piper designed that advent calendar. I bought it about 4 or 5 years ago when I went to a Desiring God conference.

Elle said...

I love desiring god, but they don't carry this anymore :(. Sniffle. However, if anyone reads this here post, you can find a felt one that you make (all you crafters) here: http://heartfelttruths.wordpress.com/advent-calendar/. Hope this helps. I might give it a whirl and then post the results on my blog, if I'm feeling ambitious.