I have been reading Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney with a few other ladies and it's been a good book for discussion. In one chapter, the author wrote about loving our children and "delighting" over them. How it's so easy for us moms to serve them.......make sure they are fed and clean and well-mannered and entertained, etc. But it can sometimes be hard for us to truly delight in them......to drop everything we are doing and look them in the eye and listen to what they are trying to tell us. To tell them that we like them (they probably hear "I love you" but do they ever hear "I really like you!"). To really stop and enjoy all the little things that they do and say. Someday they will be all grown up and off conquering the world. We only have them for a short time. The author challenged the reader to figure out how many days you have left with your child (assuming they would move out or leave for college at age 18).
I have approximately 3608 days left with Teya, 4643 days left with Ethan, and 5777 days left with Isabel. When you look at it that way, it sure doesn't look like much. Sigh. I need to delight in every last one of those fleeting days.....
6 comments:
HOnestly, it makes me so sad to think that they will be gone one day. I had lunch with my family yesterday and my sisters, who all have only one child, were talking about how its so great that they are 50 (this is my older sisters) and how they are so glad that kids weren't screaming for them when they walked out the door. I think I cringed when I heard that. I will miss my kids throwing tantrums when I leave. I'll miss changing diapers even. I'll miss their hugs and their sweet little voices singing those annoying songs. I'll miss it all. I look at Caleb who is two and my eyes well up because he's grown up so fast already. Part of me is sad for myself because I feel that this is my call...what will I do when it is over? But then I'm sad too because I see my kids and one day..they won't be here. They'll be off with their own famililes and lives. I guess I'll have grandkids to look forward too.
Good point about saying how to tell your kids that you like them. I don't think I ever say that to my kids, even though I do like them alot. I'm too stupid to figure out the days...Naomi is 9. She'll be 10 in February. I'm going to cry on her birthday...I'm such a sappy mom.
Well, I'll cry with you Michelle. I'm pretty sappy, too.
We have about 3830 days with Abby :( Of course she says she is living with or in a house near us forever. Maybe I should get that in writing right now :) That is why we are trying to live each day to the fullest...one of many reasons we chose to homeschool! With watery eyes...Melissa
Sigh.....I hear ya Melissa. Maybe you should get that in writing asap. Hee hee.....
Oh, my. I just did the math and, if Jo goes to college at 18 ... she's only "mine" for another 2,555 days (approx.) While this breaks my heart, at least I know that she is mine for a short while, but God's FOREVER. :-)
Amen Mary Grace, amen.
Post a Comment