September 26, 2008

It's Doula Time

I have been wanting to become a doula for almost 7 years now. During those years I have come up with excuse after excuse as to why it wasn't the right time for me or why it would be hard to succeed in this area, etc. Well, now, I am finally going to go for it.....I think. Sigh. Why do I make things so hard for myself? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm a firstborn, I don't know. What I do know is that it's about time that I pursue this dream. I'll let you know how things are progressing.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

That's awesome Tanya-good for you!! I totally understand the whole first born thing, obviously. I have my own higher education-making things difficult on myself issues that I'm trying to work through right now too. WHY do we do this? It's nuts, really.

Anyway, I think it's great. So, how does one go about becomming a doula?

Courtney said...

I knew you wanted to do this a couple years ago, I'm so glad that you are actually going to pursue it now. Congrats!!

Feel free to use me as a guinea pig. The areas I'm particularly interested in are the postpartum stuff namely you cooking, cleaning my house and running my errands. ;) Just kidding.

Tanya said...

Kristin - I don't know why we are so hard on ourselves. Dork syndrome maybe.

To become a doula, I have to get certified through DONA (Doulas of North America). The training consists of lots of reading/studying, a certain number of required hours attending training workshops, and working with 3 preggo mamas for free. I have to have all of this done within a certain time frame and then I'm official.