Yep, 10 minutes before this picture was taken, Teya and I had this bedroom all cleaned up. Then Hurricane Isabel came running in and did her damage......but she did it with a smile. I think I'll just get rid of all her toys and get her a jungle gym.
I stopped cleaning my children's rooms for this very reason. I don't recall the last time either of them had what I would consider a clean room. Sure we tell them to clean them, but Audrey thinks that shoving everything she owns into her closet or Rose Petal Cottage and closing the door is cleaning and Ian is fond of piles of toys in the corners rather than using his shelves and bins. If people are coming, I just shut their doors. I do so miss when they used to have an actual toy room. No toys in their rooms. That was nice.
We have that same toy sorter and my 20 month old just realized that she can dump each and every container full of toys onto the floor. Such fun! Jenny (LuvMy2Blessings)
Haha, well...Naomi is 9 and Michaela is 6 and they still do not understand what my idea of a clean room is. But, one of my friends that has 6 kids (3 of them are grown) told me that if you want them to learn how to clean, you should "inspect what you expect". That saying has stuck with me. If you expect clothes in the dresser, then check the room after they have said they are done and make sure they put the clothes in the dresser. If they shove clothes in the closet, inspect the closet and then make them put it away the right way. I have to admit, I'm lazy when it comes to "inspecting" but when I do require them to meet my expectations, oh how things change! Another idea she gave me was to "train" them how to do a job. Then when you ask them to do it and they don't do it how you have "trained" them, then she makes them do it 3x. So I do this when my kids don't put their dirty dishes in the sink. I tell them they have to put the dishes in the sink 3 times. They remember then! Ok, just thought I'd pass those on.
7 comments:
I stopped cleaning my children's rooms for this very reason. I don't recall the last time either of them had what I would consider a clean room. Sure we tell them to clean them, but Audrey thinks that shoving everything she owns into her closet or Rose Petal Cottage and closing the door is cleaning and Ian is fond of piles of toys in the corners rather than using his shelves and bins. If people are coming, I just shut their doors. I do so miss when they used to have an actual toy room. No toys in their rooms. That was nice.
So funny. I have one who does that all the time too. Some day our houses will be clean!!
We have that same toy sorter and my 20 month old just realized that she can dump each and every container full of toys onto the floor. Such fun!
Jenny (LuvMy2Blessings)
Haha, well...Naomi is 9 and Michaela is 6 and they still do not understand what my idea of a clean room is. But, one of my friends that has 6 kids (3 of them are grown) told me that if you want them to learn how to clean, you should "inspect what you expect". That saying has stuck with me. If you expect clothes in the dresser, then check the room after they have said they are done and make sure they put the clothes in the dresser. If they shove clothes in the closet, inspect the closet and then make them put it away the right way. I have to admit, I'm lazy when it comes to "inspecting" but when I do require them to meet my expectations, oh how things change! Another idea she gave me was to "train" them how to do a job. Then when you ask them to do it and they don't do it how you have "trained" them, then she makes them do it 3x. So I do this when my kids don't put their dirty dishes in the sink. I tell them they have to put the dishes in the sink 3 times. They remember then! Ok, just thought I'd pass those on.
"Inspect what you expect". That's good Michelle, I'm going to remember that one.
I've been told so many times by woman whose children have grown that someday I will miss the mess. I try to remember that, too.
I know that feeling. It's funny how spills occur right after I mop the floor.
Post a Comment